Coming up with a down payment in today’s economy can be difficult.  In most cases the down payment is expected to be 20% of the purchase price, and in some markets where housing prices are high that can be nearly impossible for the average person to save.  So are there ways to get around this?  Can you buy a home even if you don’t have the down payment?  There are a few ways to get into a home in spite of lacking the required 20%. The 80/20 Loan Also known as a piggyback mortgage, an 80/20 loan is a simple way to get a home without a down payment, but it can be a bit more expensive-or a lot more.  Basically, you take out a separate loan for the 20% portion of the purchase price.  You are financing your down payment.  You then take out a larger loan for the remaining 80%.  The interest rate on the 20% loan is usually a lot higher than the larger loan, so the best bet for any homeowner is to pay it off as quickly as possible. The 20% portion of the loan is usually on a shorter term than the larger portion […]
Read More